View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Which XGS System to start with? 

Post Which XGS System to start with?
I'm sorry if this question has already been answered a 1000 times but when I did a search someone referenced a CPU thread in the “Which XGS buy to Start” topic that appears gone. I also read somewhere that a hacker deleted everything so I'm assuming the answer is gone.

I want to learn EE and develop some simple games but I'm not quite sure where to begin. It seems like the XGS system is the place to start but I cannot tell if the systems build upon each other or where one usually starts. I have LOTs of programming experience (including C/C++ and Assembly). I've read all of Andres game programming books so I have that understanding. However, I am entry level when it comes to EE.

Does one usually start with the Micro Edition or the Pico Edition or the Game Console Starter Kit? What do you recommend? I definitely want the Black Art Video Game Console Design book.

Thanks for any help,
Jeff

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:17 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Which XGS System to start with?
I would suggest the XGS AVR or XGS PIC. Both systems are very simple designs, but yet encompass everything you need to know to design a small embedded game system or in general small computer. Plus, they come with EVERYTHING in the box. Finally, the DVD has fee copies of the black art book, so its a huge value product.

So, the only real question is AVR or PIC? This is like ford or chevy, democrat or republican. In this case, the PIC is a 16-bit processor, and 5x faster, so if speed and power is what you want then hands down the XGS PIC 16-bit, but if you like Atmel products then the AVR is the way to go -- if neither matters, then buy the lower cost unit -- the XGS AVR 8-bit.

Andre'

Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:22 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for the quick reply Andre. Sounds like I'll go for the PIC. However, is the Pico Edition more “hands on' in terms of the hardware compared to PIC kit? Will I learn just as much using the PIC as compared to the Pico Edition?

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:24 pm

I'd go with the XGS PIC since it has a lot more program memory and SRAM. Of course, I'm a programmer so I never seem to have enough memory! :-)

Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:07 pm

Same here dbetz! The programming part is no issue for me. I'm really doing this to learn the hardware/EE side of this. This seems like a really cool way to learn EE.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]