View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Hydra VGA Question 

Post Hydra VGA Question
Hi All,

I am looking for the VGA driver and test program that Andre wrote. I've looked on the CD but cannot find it. I cannot get my Hydra to display VGA. I get an "out of range" message on all on my LCDs when I connect any of them via VGA cable. (Yes I have VGA enabled on my Hydra.)

If we talk about the Hacker, he wins. I won't mention him again.

Thank You.

Kevin B.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:22 pm
Site Admin

Hmmm -- let me look at the CD...one sec, has to be there --- vgachrs_010.spin right there in the sources\ directory, then it calls vgaterm_013.spin which then includes the other stuff, just make sure to drag the whole sources\ directory to your PC and work from there.

But, like I said, there are a lot of VGA games and demos on the parallax site in the HYDRA projects list here:

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/defau ... 3&m=312639

Of course you need to be logged in. Also, in there object exchange are a lot of VGA drivers to try --

http://obex.parallax.com/objects/category/3/

Andre'

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:58 pm
Profile WWW

Post VGA driver Saga Con't
Hey Andre,

Yes I have tried the files you mentioned severeal times . When I bought the Hydra I did copy the whole Hydra disc to my HD (and did reset permissions).

I was looking for something in the .spin code that said your name. That's why I didn't know which ones you wrote, I guess you are modest.

Anyway, your drivers give me an out of range error which is hard for me to believe. I bet you tested it before including it on the disc. That tells me there must be something wrong with my Hydra. Uber disappointing. I even bought an acrylic case from Mountain King and have the thing proudly on my desk.

This much support from you is generous, where to from here? My logical mind says there's no point in trying other drivers.

KB

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:54 pm
Site Admin

Oh, I see. Anything without my name I wrote, anything WITH someone's initials they wrote. So basically, all the demos, drivers, core software I wrote, then I passed it to demo coders to make demos with it, mod it, etc. Also, every header at the top of code says who wrote it in the spin file or whatever code base, so you can always tell there as well.

Andre'

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:28 pm
Profile WWW

Post What next?
Hey Andre,

So now what do I do? Send back my Hydra? (Ugh.)

Thank you.

KB

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:16 am
Site Admin

Well, no -- why? The VGA chars demo works, that means the VGA is working fine, its pretty simple, just 8 wires thru a buffer. Other than that, if something else is NOT working that a demo coder made then it just might be broken. But, did you try other HYDRA demos from parallax that work with VGA? This is all software, so you have to write your own driver or use other drivers for the VGA, we focused on all the NTSC demos for the release of the product.

So, on the parallax site, try downloading some of the VGA drivers, or demos, try them for the HYDRA, make sure they are for hydra, and you look at the code and make any constant changes at the top of the code to HYDRA mode, there are usually comments from the developer to make it work with HYDRA, demo board, etc.

But, if there is something wrong with the VGA then definitely send it back. But, the vga_chars demo worked, so we know its working, now its just a matter of you coding demos that use it and using whatever drivers you write or from parallax's object store.

Andre'

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:15 pm
Profile WWW

Post Yikes
Ok, I may have poor English but I am saying that none of the VGA demos work, not even yours. I must have a defective unit, who do I contact and how do I go about sending it back?
Thank you...again.

KB

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:54 pm
Site Admin

AHHH -- I see. Well, where did you buy it? Fry's take it back, Parallax, call tech support and send it back sounds like a bad solder joint, if my company then email support@nurve.net, tell them your original order number, name etc. and then you can send it back and we will either refund you, or fix it and send it back.

Andre'

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:55 pm
Profile WWW

Post Oops
Thanks for the input, Andre. I didn't know that. I don't know what I was thinking last night. Sorry about the misinformation. I'm changing the post to this to avoid any confusion. The CRT monitor I used says the signal has a 92 Hz refresh rate. I think the problem might be that LCDs usually support a refresh rate of 60 or 75 Hz. That would explain the out of range error.

Josh

Last edited by retrogamer127 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:46 am
Site Admin

VGA has never been lower than 640x480, but you can display an image of 100x100 on it if you like -- the "resolution" is simply the rate at which you change the RGB inputs, at max there are 640 pixels at 480 lines, but that doesn't mean I can't change my color half that rate, or quarter that rate, etc. the IMPORTANT thing is that the timing pulses are ALWAYS the same for 640x480 for the HSYNC and VSYNC.

Higher resolutions are the same, if you sync a monitor to think its running at 2400x2000, and you send a single RGB value (blue screen) that's 1x1 pixel in essence!

Andre'

Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:25 pm
Profile WWW

VGA does officially support 320x200 (mode 13h) - although I'm not really clear if this was originally a doublescan mode for VGA (at least, the "modern" implementations are doublescan, ie. 320x400).

But it seems like most LCD monitors only support a minimum of 640x480.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:02 pm
Site Admin

VGA monitors always scanned at the 25.175 Mhz pixel rate and the mode 13h modes where simply slower pixel outputs, but still had the same sync rates for hsync and vsync. If a monitor has 640 pixels, then it automatically has 320, 160, 80, etc. "double pixel" or "line scanning", the only modification to the scanning is the vertical number of lines where you can have 40 less lines on top and bottom over scan.

Thus a mode 13h image always works on a VGA of any kind since the signal is still a 640x480 timed signal with less information to create a 320x240 or 320x200 in mode 13, or the mode Y and Z modes that Abrash and myself coined in the 90's by taking advantage of the potential vertical resolution, but keeping the 320 pixels across. The monitors never go "into" 320 pixel mode since there is no reason for that, its just 640 pixels and the output device (pc) outputs NEW RGB values at half the rate, thus double scanning.

The only time resolution matters is if you try to pump pixels FASTER than the pixel rate of 25.175 Mhz, which you can NOT do on a standard VGA monitor.

Andre'

Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:22 pm
Profile WWW

Ok the video card is an EVGA 7900gt. The PSU is a Ultra Xfinity 600w. Also a note: I did not upgrade either of these components, and they used to work together flawless.

make money online

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:39 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]