View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 What software programs do I need to get started? 

Post What software programs do I need to get started?
I have Adobe After Effects and Photoshop CS4. What programs do I need to start game development?

thanks
Troie

Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:07 pm
Profile WWW

You need interactive content. That can be essentially anything. However, After Effects and Photoshop won't get you those. What will is notepad and some knowledge of JavaScript, or perhaps the free gcc compiler and knowledge of C++. If you want to start off simple and free, you could always download Unity (www.unity3d.com) and run through the tutorials. If you go that route, you might want to download the free Blender 3D software for creating your game assets. It's easily possible to create some amazing games, very simply, and all with free software.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:12 pm

Another thing, you may prefer to start off writing 2D games, as 2D assets are easier to create. Just like Unity, there are lots of 2D games applications that will allow you to write fun games. GameMaker is one, though a little old. If you know Adobe products, then you could learn Flash and write them with that. I use Flash to write games as part of my job, and once you know ActionScript, game writing couldn't be simpler.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:15 pm
Site Admin

First, what do you mean EXACTLY by game development? Do you want to write code? Build levels? Create characters? Do animations? etc. If you want to "write" games then you need a Windows PC, Visual Studio so you can code in C/C++, and that's about it -- you need to learn DirectX, 100's of books on game development, just amazon.com for game development. I don't recommend messing around with "toys" that build toy games, if you want to write PC games then you need to learn DirectX, C/C++, and game development. If you want to do "web games" then you need to learn FLASH game development.

A really good resource is gamasutra.com and gamedev.net.

Andre'

Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:04 pm
Profile WWW

Better than anything you can think off I recommend you a teacher ! That’s all you need to get started.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:17 pm

Pfft! Some decent books and some patience are enough...

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:57 pm

Even after the trashing, this place is still being spammed!

I think Andre's comment is a little harsh. First, games exist on platforms other than Windows. In fact, games on mobile devices are a great way for startup games individuals to make it rich in this industry. Also, while die hard games developers will say "learn C++!", you shouldn't let it scare you off. It's possible to learn at a higher level and still produce something to wow the crowds. Some platforms will leave people thinking you actually did use C++.

The main point is to actually make a game. Once you've done that, you can adjust your route til you truly are hardcore.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:23 am

Honestly guys, I think the first post was a spam post, lol.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:43 am
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Yup, I think so as well, kinda retarded spam bot since it just puts up the names of two products. I am going to delete this thread if I don't see another post by the original which seems suspect.

Andre'

Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:49 pm
Profile WWW

My guess is the spam poster wanted to get their web address in their profile. It's a trick that is not as obvious, but guys will probably click it because of a nice avatar. (I didn't, however, so I have no clue what they were pushing.)

Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:02 pm

Well, that's definitely SPAM! It's a shame we couldn't get their address ;-)

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:29 pm

P

Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:50 am

"Never give up" - Apparently that is spammer's slogan.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]