View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Lost :( 

Post Lost :(
I am very lost here because I do not know what the difference is between these subjects: Could Someone please explain this to me:

1. ASP
2. PHP
3. XML
4. CGI
5. Java
6. Javascript

I know there is a major difference in Javascript and Java (because one is for games and such and the other is for web design), but I do not know what is the big deal with all these. Help!

Sun Aug 04, 2002 2:56 pm

1. ASP
: Active Server Page, Microsoft open scripting service delivered on server my IIS or a 3rd party implementation, can use one of several languages including Perlscript, VB script (default) and Javascript. Its a little slow but newer implementations (ASP.NET) precompile the scripts which increases the speed dramatically.

2. PHP
->PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor (I hate recursive acronyms! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] ), similar to ASP except is limited to a single programming language which is based apon Perl, C and Java, this does mean the service has a speed advantage over ASP however.

3. XML
->Extensible Markup Language is a platform independent markup language Like HTML, XML makes use of tags (words bracketed by '<' and '>') and attributes (of the form name="value") and is generally used for the structuring of data.

4. CGI
->Common Gateway Interface, allows program execution via the internet (usually Perl scripts or compiled programs)

5. Java
->Programming language based on C that allows program development on multiple platforms that can be accessed via browsers

6. Javascript
->Scripting language based on C, used primarily for clientside scripting within a html document.

Hope that helps, this is however only a very brief outline and only scratches the surface of what these do.

[EDIT] Because the forum turned 1/2 my text into smiles! [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

[ August 04, 2002: Message edited by: Teq ]</p>

Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:28 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Do you have any recommendations on which one is the best and used to make professional looking web pages?

Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:43 pm

For backend coding, thngs like shopping carts, mailforms, counters, etc...

You can choose between, PHP, ASP, Perl. Those are probably the most popular.

For frontend interactivity, JavaScript can't be beaten.

Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:17 pm
Site Admin

I have kind of learned a little bit of ASP and I am trying to learn more, but I have two questions. So far, I understand that almost everything is stored in tables/databases. Here's the question. When I am doing a "log in" screen and the person clicks the Log In button, do I check the information by scanning through the database for their information to check if its there and if the password matches?
Second, what would be the best language to do this in? At first I thought ASP, but then I actually did some research and found out how many server-side languages there actually are. What I basically want to do is have a Login screen where people can, once their loggged in, check their stats on a game called Starcraft. (I know their stats). I have narrowed it down to three.
1. ASP
2. PHP
3. JSP

If anybody would like to give their personal opinion on which one is best in my situation please feel free. It would be greatly appreciated.

Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:41 am
Profile WWW

There isn't one language that is significantly better at this than another. It's merely a matter of personal preference really. My personal favorite is PHP (it rules) because my first really language I learned was C and I'm most comfortable in C/C++ and PHP is highly based on C/C++ (especially the Standard C library).

Basically choose:
<ul type="square">[*]PHP if are most comfortable coding in C/C++[*]ASP if you are most comfortable coding in Visual Basic[*]JSP if you are most comfortable coding in Markup Languages (XML, HTML, etc.) and a bit of Java[/list]

One very important thing to consider when choosing is what languages are actually availible. If you are running on a *nix server then you most likely have PHP and a semi-functioning ASP (I haven't seen the actual progress of ASP for Apache so I can't say how functional it is yet). JSP support for *nix's can go either way. It just depends on the server you are running. If your server is Windows based then ASP is most common unless they run Apache webserver instead of IIS (PHP is availible for IIS but isn't standard). If they run Apache then PHP will probably be your best bet for availiblity. I'm sure JSP is an option with Windows based servers but I have no idea how often it is supported (I have heardly touched JSP, I'm no expert on it).

The idea you have with coding a login system is one perfectly fine way of doing it (That is the most common way too and is the way I'd do it personally). Just like nearly every programming problem there are many, many ways to solve them. Some better than others.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

PS. I'm sure everyone on this board has heard of Starcraft before [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:11 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

PHP it is then. I have a couple more questions, now focused at all you PHP webmasters.

1.Do I have to do everything through tables?
2.For example, take my idea in coding a login system for my Starcraft clan. Would I look up the info for that person in a table to see if their password matches their name?
3.Could you program almost a full application (I know thats not the right way to phrase it but I hope you can understand what I mean) with PHP? Eg. Like the banner on the top of the FreeWebs home page.

Thanks to anyone who can be of assistance.

Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:25 pm
Profile WWW

You don't need to store anything in tables, it's just a very convient and good way to store stuff. You can store stuff in files. It's very easy to do that too. You could, for example just have a plain text file with a person's username and password on each line then the program would look it up.

The banner on the top of that page is in HTML and uses PHP as the backend. That's how it works. PHP does all the work in the background. Everything on a page you see is basically (times are changing but this is still correct 99% of the time) HTML. All the work with checking username/password and directing the user to the appropriot place is PHP (or whatever language they use).

When using server side scripting languages think of them as the workhorse that does all the processing and HTML as your user interface. Everything the user sees is in HTML but all of the actions are performed by PHP and displayed to the user with HTML.

Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:02 am
Profile ICQ WWW

It may all depend on where you host your website too. Some websites won't allow ASP or even PHP to run on their servers. But if your hosting your own server then you have the convenience of choosing your own.

Personally, my experience has been with ASP on IIS. I know a little of JavaScript and some PHP to get me around. I would be glad to give you any help you need though. I have had a lot of experience setting up web applications with ASP including using login pages.

Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]