View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Racing Game 

Post Racing Game
I am probably what is considered to be a newbie programmer as I am only 14. But I am currently making a racing game and I have all different kinds of 3D tracks and models. I was wondering what the best kind of data structure/AI would be the best to move the cars around the tracks in a realistic fashion.

Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:23 pm

Post Racing Game
a really simple way to get a basic ai up and running would be to position waypoints on the track, after an ai reached within a certain distance of a waypoint, it would steer to try and head towards the next waypoint.

Sat Aug 03, 2002 2:03 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Post Racing Game
Hackin, just wondering how 'newbie' you are. I'm 14 as well, and would like to know what languages/programs you have experience in. I've been more into 3d modelling and 2d game making. so I just started getting into programming recently and am going through C++(I'll learn Basic, html, xml, java, php, perl, all that good stuff later)

Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:38 pm
Site Admin

Post Racing Game
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Candyman:
<strong>Hackin, just wondering how 'newbie' you are. I'm 14 as well, and would like to know what languages/programs you have experience in. I've been more into 3d modelling and 2d game making. so I just started getting into programming recently and am going through C++(I'll learn Basic, html, xml, java, php, perl, all that good stuff later)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well I'll be 16 on the 26th of this month (Aug), but when I was your age I was a total newb at this stuff. When I was 12 VisualBasic was the coolest thing ever, then I learned C++ at 13 and Windows/DX at 14. Although I was really into game programming at your age, I'm just finishing my first game now. My advice is never get discouraged. I can't tell you how many times I've redone my game engine in the last couple months alone. But just stick with it, and don't be afraid to ask for help on this board, the people are great [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] .

Basically since I was 14 I've learned C/C++, PHP, Javascript, HTML, XML, ASP, DHTML, VB, Java, Windows and DX programming. I've also learned programs such as 3D MAX, Maya, Truespace, a lot of other modeleing programs, tons of gfx programs, and Visual Studio.NET. Its quite overwhelming at first, but you get the hang of things quickly. But I couldn't have done it without the help from this board. So I wish you the best of luck, if you have a question don't be afraid to ask [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] . Hope to chat later,

-Terry [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:13 am
Profile WWW

Post Racing Game
i've got a whoooole list of language i'm going to set out to learn by next christmas, but i really want to get a good handle of C++ before I move on. I'll be taking two VB classes this year, so I guess I'll get into that too. My current list of todo is HTML(which'll take a good half hour [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] ), XML, UML(hardly a language), Java 2, Basic, Unix, PHP, Perl, and a little Python. I guess I figured starting with the hardest would be good since I'll be able to catch on to the others a lot faster. I might also learn the Flash language which name escapes me. As for modelling, I'm good with zmodeler and MS3D and working with Gmax. Skinning skill? None. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Hopefully by January 2005 I'll know half of what I've mentioned [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] By the way, if you know any other good languages I could cram in that list please do tell [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:31 am

Post Racing Game
Unix isn't a language, lol. I suppose you mean shell scripting on bash or learning a Unix OS. [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:04 am
Profile WWW

Post Racing Game
"UML(hardly a language),"

UML is not a language, it's a design methodology and standard format for showing designs. Learning what the symbols mean, does not mean you'll be able to do proper designs or when to use sequence diagrams, or robustness diagrams.

It's not something that can be learnt on it's own either. You won't know if your design's right, or if you've covered everything until you implement it and see how it goes.

BTW there's no way you can learn that list of stuff between now and Xmas. You may be able to recognise them at Xmas and do Hello World level of stuff. Basically your saying 1 new thing every 2 weeks in your spare time. Not even enough time to do a "Learn in in 21 days" approach. And most people will tell you that those books barely scratch the surface.

I'm not trying to p1ss on your fire, just hope you get a little perspective.

Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]