View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 JavaScript Fire Emitter 

Post JavaScript Fire Emitter
Hi All,

I'm working on a new game and I was thinking about making a fire emitter. So I thought I'd get the basic physics and "look" of fire down in JavaScript and then port to OpenGL. ^^
It's pretty basic in my JavaScript implementation, but when it gets ported to OpenGL it'll look much better due to better blending and whatnot. ^_^ This is just a prototype. I think it looks pretty good though considering. ^^

It's basic particle fire and can be affected by the artificial wind parameters within the program. Took me a bit of tweaking until I got it looking reasonably good, but I like how it turned out. ^^ The Demo requires JavaScript and has been tested in IE and FF.

Youtube Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0PhdBpEKeo

Mao Mao Games

Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:40 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Wow, looks good, the trick is to get some really good fire textures (smoke, fog), so it looks right, but not bad at all -- this is javascript running in the browser? I haven't done "graphics" in javascript in 10-15 years in the browser -- why didn't you prototype with DirectX and C/C++? Just curious?

Andre'

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:45 pm
Profile WWW

Yep. ^_^ It's JavaScript running under FireFox. It's also just old JavaScript + HTML, none of this Canvas BS. :P I just posted a video instead of a live link because it didn't look as good in IE, due to IE's transparency.

I didn't prototype it in C++ because I was on a public machine and all I had access to was notepad and a browser at the time. :P I'm gonna port it over to hardware tonight with OpenGL so it can look like a single coherent flame rather than a bunch of disjointed circles. ^o^

I do think now though it would look nice as a fire effect for a cartoony game. ^^ I'll add in the smoke and get some textures on there too then I'll post the updated version. Thanks for the feedback Andre'.

Mao Mao Games

Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]