View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 PWM Sound Driver 

It doesn't recognize "OC8RS" so it definitely has a different name, I'm just having a tough time finding it.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:38 pm
Site Admin

This is what sucks about having a zillion versions of header files, the best thing to do is look in the data sheet, and then do a grep thru the header file for "OC" and "output comapare" and hopefully, you can find the header section that defines these names..

Andre'

Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:07 pm
Profile WWW

To test my sound driver i used your sound files. They played nicely in my hardware. Is there any way I could get my hands on your (compiled) C# program to convert wav files to unsigned char arrays? can it downsample?

My game is kinda dull without sounds.

Thanks

Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:13 pm

On the topic of sound, I found this Boulder Dash game someone created for the PIC18 that supports VGA and a 4 voice sound player. I think this would be worth looking into just for the sound routines alone.

http://www.pic24.ru/doku.php/en/osa/articles/vga_game

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:35 pm
Profile WWW

To s4w2099, my program is stripped apart right now as I am experimenting with different ways to do the audio. It doesn't even save as arrays anymore, but I'll try to find the time to get it working this weekend. When I finish all my drivers, I'll eventually release a fully functioning version of the program. That's not going to be for a while though.

To JT, thanks for the post. I checked out the code, and there are definitely some neat routines going on in that game. I like how he made note lists for the music, and his program reads through it. I want to attempt something similar to that, but using sampled sounds. So say I have a trumpet sample of middle C, I want to be able to play that sample back at varying frequency to reproduce entire octaves.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:15 pm
Site Admin

Andre'

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:25 am
Profile WWW

I remembered a great tool to do something similar. A while ago I took a class on basic DSP. We used MATLAB, to process the audio. Then, what I did was to download a MATLAB knock off (open-source) that has some functions to read/write and process wav files. This program is called Octave. Since this is a math program its easy to scale, downsample and manipulate the data. Sure, you can also plot it to see what it looks like, FFT and all.

Here is the code I run from Octave's console:

[y, Fs, bits] = wavread('siren.wav');
y=y.*100;
y=y+abs(min(y));
fp=fopen('output.txt', 'w');
fprintf(fp, '%d, ', y);
fclose(fp);

It is pretty obvious what it does. Reads a wav file into an array called 'y', then it multiplies the array by 100 (thats my volume), then it shifts all the data above the y axis (no negative values), then it simply dumps all the data as integer to the file output.txt

The result is a very nice sound. I guess it could be better though. The wav file sounds a lot better when played in the computer. But it is a start.

:-)

Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:14 am

Thanks for the link, that guy is very good. It is a very nice, tight little program. Sounded very decent in the video.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:31 am
Site Admin

I haven't heard of that one -- looks like C syntax, that's pretty cool :)

Andre'

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:32 am
Profile WWW

Andre'

Yes, C syntax for many things. The most common C IO functions are supported by MATLAB/octave like printf, fprintf etc. They are really cool because you can use them to format your output as wished.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:23 pm
Site Admin

Andre'

Octave is just the free open source version that mimics matlab.

Kind of like open office is to Microsoft office.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2