View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 XGS ME - Pac-Man Demo - Messed Up Sound 

Post XGS ME - Pac-Man Demo - Messed Up Sound
First off, I didn't see a forum for the Micro Edition, just the 8-Bit AVR XGS. Am I overlooking it?

I received the XGS ME for Christmas and I finally got around to hooking it up this evening. There is a Pac-Man Demo included and it seems to work okay-- but the sound is messed up. Sometimes the sound turns off after a few moments or I get weird buzzing noises. I've checked my setup and I don't see anything that's obviously wrong. Once the screen just went black. Any suggestions?

Adam

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:17 am

Post Re: XGS ME - Pac-Man Demo - Messed Up Sound
I have reloaded the game using the USB SX-Key and SX-Key IDE 3.3 (currently the latest version) and I still have difficulty with the sound.

I noticed that there is a definite correlation between the sound problem and, until now, an unnoticed problem with joystick movement. When the sound buzzes or whistles, Pac-man will either stop moving for a moment (sort of a slight pause in gameplay-- though the ghosts keep moving) or he will go in some direction that is not being pushed on the joystick. I used a known-working Atari 2600 joystick to replace the Suncom Slik Stik that the XGS ME came with, but the results are still the same- the sound and movement are wrong.

Also, to rule out a problem with the XGS ME, I loaded the Flag Demo that comes on the CD. The demo plays some music and it sounds fine.

Any suggestions what the trouble could be?

Adam

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:41 pm

Check your ground or change the TV plug

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 pm
Site Admin

Also, the game is a demo, and code can run off into the weeds now and then. Also, make sure the xtal is pressed in tight, might be loose.

Andre'

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:47 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]