View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Strategy 

Post Strategy
Hello,
I don’t remember I have used this word before, in fact I don’t even know what is it to have a strategy! There is annex word call Tactics this one too, has zero meaning to me, Since I had the chance of reading few books so I have crossed: Napoleon, Clausewitz Von something etc… they were describing Strategy and tactics but then again it was PURE literature to me.
So does electronics (Hardware) and computer science (Software) uses Strategy and tactics?

Let me suppose we are technical staff and we are told to build a video game that compress and decompress any file that starts with: “&“and end with “@” for example: &0123456789@
Thanks

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:35 pm

Post Re: Strategy
In the programming world (I guess the electronics world has the same), we think more along the lines of patterns and logic. Many tasks are commonplace, such as converting AC to DC. Ergo, patterns arise that allow these tasks to be completed quickly. You can buy electronics books that show such patterns, but it pays to read one that describes the approach to such patterns in depth, so they are fully understood.

This is essentially strategy and tactics.

Lee

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Quote:
Tasks to be completed quickly.

Sure there is! But what kind of strategy would you choose for that purpose?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:56 am

It depends on the task.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:32 am

Suppose it’s the one above « Compression »

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:30 am

In this case, strategy means "what logical approach you use to solve this problem" or "how do you approach / plan to solve the problem" - like how you think.

So, for compression, you would think of how best to solve that problem.

In the example above, search for the '&' symbol to denote the start of a compressed part, then compress the middle using some standard compression routine (i.e. Huffman coding), and stop when you see the '@' symbol. And how you specifically implement the solution would depend on more parameters of the problem - for example, if the part to be compressed could only contain the numbers 0-9, you might try to use a different compression technique than if it could contain any letter/#/character.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:30 am
Profile ICQ

Okay, so you mean: The algorithm you use is the STRATEGY?

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:05 pm

Kinda... it's more like the approach, it's "the way you go about trying to logically think about a solution to a problem".

For the compression example, you would look at the problem (what the data is, how it's laid out, etc), and try to select what would be the best way of approaching it (would RLE be best the most appropriate, sliding window or block, how would I implement it, could I use a library function, what language would be most efficient, what would be the best on the specific system I am implementing it on in terms of tradeoffs for speed/size, since there's only #'s 0-9 maybe I can do some sort of numerical probability bs compression, etc).

Not exactly the same as saying "ZIP compression".

An algorithm is a specific piece of code used to solve a specific problem for a specific set of inputs... and is usually the result of someone programmer's strategy in solving that problem for their specific case - somebody had to come up with that algorithm and design it, and that process was guided by their strategy toward solving the problem.

google defines it pretty well:
"strat·e·gy/ˈstratəjē/
Noun:

1. A plan of action or policy designed to achieve a major or overall aim."

Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:09 am
Profile ICQ

For me what you said is TACTICS, and I agree on that!

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Yea they are more or less analogous. Tactics generally (but not always, might be specific to your region, but at least in the USA) has a connotation for a conflict or struggle, however, like war or sports or whatever.

Also, it often is used to refer to specific actions, as opposed to the larger overall picture.

For example, in a war, the overall strategy might be to deprive the enemy of their ability to produce war materials such as munitions, tanks, planes, w/e. The tactics employed would be to use bombing runs and airstrikes, as opposed to sabotage by spies or a large ground push or w/e else.

Depending on your situation though you might be able to use them interchangeably... it's not that important.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:26 am
Profile ICQ

I doubt in tactics success without strategy!

Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]